I am a firm believer in being honest about my age. I have lived and earned every year, and, really, everyone ages.
Birthdays are a party everyone gets.
So, today, April 18, 2013, I am 29 years old.
And here are some reasons why my birthday and birth year are awesome:
- My birthday is on the cusp between Aries and Taurus, which means I can choose which horoscope is mine. I usually pick Aries.
- The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) and I share the same birthday. I didn’t know this until I opened up Facebook today. Woot!
- Other famous people (that I actually like and respect) born April 18 include: Hayley Mills, Melissa Joan Hart, America Ferrera, and Eric McCormick, Jane Leeves, Conan O’Brian, and Lucrezia Borgia (an infamous poisoner according to one site).
- George Orwell decided 1984 was so awesome, he wrote a book about it – though it’s a depressing, dystopian vision of the year.
- On another note, April 18, 1906 was the San Francisco earthquake and fire which “killed 4,000 and destroyed 75% of the city”. While that’s not good, there is a fun Star Trek: The Next Generation 2-parter that takes place during the earthquake.
- The director of my department has the same birthday. I made us matching party hats.
- Some great – or at least classic – movies came out the year I was born, including:
- This Is Spinal Tap
- Splash (at least in my house it’s classic)
- The Karate Kid
- The Last Starfighter
- Dune (yes, the film has problems, but it’s still a great book and an odd but important Sci-Fi film)
- And a small movie by unknown director James Cameron – Terminator.
- I was born.
Tonight’s party plans: Pizza, slurpees, chocolate chip cookies, and watching the Hobbit on my projector.
Low key and fun.
Hope you all have a great day, and, soon, it will be your birthday too!
What do you like to do for your birthday? What nerdtastic connections do you have in your birth day or year? What’s your favorite birthday ever?
– My favorite birthday ever involved watching Star Wars lightsaber battles back to back, playing with glow-in-the-dark dinosaurs, and eating Adam’s Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Ripple Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.