The author opened the book to the map.
“This is the secret map past Mt. Publication to Mt. Marketing,” said the guide. “It is a murky road, full of paths many of tread and twists no one can see.”
“And this map will guarantee success?” the author said.
“No,” the guide said, “But walking this path means setting down your pen for a time as you cross the unknown. You will pick up your pen again, someday, but, for now, if you want to complete this journey, this is the path you must take.”
I hope everyone is having a great start to 2018! We made it!
This is going to be an exciting year as I settle-in further here in South Texas and work on getting the third book of The Pippington Tales, The Matchgirl and the Magician, out later this year.
The month of February by itself has some very exciting writerly opportunities. So, let’s dive-in:
Where: Dallas Central Public Library, February 9-10
What: A brand new writing conference in the heart of Dallas, where authors can network, take great classes, and enjoy the craft of writing
What Am I Doing: I am teaching two classes –
- Formatting 101 in MS Word – this will be a dynamic class where I walk participants through setting up a manuscript so it can be converted into an e-book and/or print
Building A Better Book Trailer – I’m taking what I learned from doing this presentation for an online conference and refining it for a live presentation. I am working hard to find ways to make this less technical and more interactive.
Where: Provo, UT, February 15-17
What: Speculative Fiction Conference where writers can let out their nerdy side and connect with others who love the fantastic and mystical
What Am I Doing: I am returning for my 3rd year in a row as a panelist/presenter. I’m excited because I’ll connect with other authors I’m building friendships with and see friends and family who live in the Provo, UT area.
At the conference, I am on 3 panels and doing a repeat of the Building A Better Book Trailer. This presentation should be amazing by this conference. Plus, there’s a book signing Friday night.
Here’s a link to my schedule: http://ltue.net/konopas/#star
And here’s a list:
Thursday, February 15
It would be nice if life were perfectly orderly, and everything happened as expected. However, life has a tendency to throw curve balls at us. How understanding probability for fun (gambling) and profit (insurance) has helped to both destabilize and stabilize our society.
Film professional Laura Palmer walks you through designing and creating your own trailers. She will demonstrate the process with a primary focus on selecting and editing video and audio clips.
We don’t have much to go on yet, but how do you think the two are going to compare based on the old canon versus newer? Which will fans hold tightest to? Is Legacy influencing Disney?
I’ve had to keep a tight lid on this for about a week, but I’m excited to announce the next book featured in the Fellowship of Fantasy Book Club is…
The Lady and the Frog!
I am very excited!
For those of you unfamiliar, the Fellowship of Fantasy is a group where readers and independent authors of clean fantasy (clean as in up to PG-13) stories can connect. If you love fantasy and meeting authors, this is the right place for you.
Every month, they feature a different book which the author provides for FREE to book club participants. So, until February 7th, join The Fellowship of Fantasy’s book club and you will get a free copy of The Lady and the Frog.
(And, for Fellowship of Fantasy members who’ve wandered here – welcome!)
During February, I’ll be dropping more behind-the-scenes information, having a few giveaways, and talking about more of the world of Pippington.
Also Coming Soon…
Here’s a few more items either without a set date or coming up in the next few months:
- In early February, in addition to The Fellowship of Fantasy Book Club, I’ll be participating in a book giveaway with 10 other Fellowship of Fantasy authors. Stay tuned for more info.
- The Sixth Annual WIT (Watched-In-Theater Awards). I’ve narrowed the films I’ve watched down to the top 3, but am still working on choosing. One of those is The Last Jedi, but there are two other movies I’m considering. Look for this post around when the Oscars are announced.
- April 7th, 2018 – LDSBR Online Conference – I’m leading a committee to put together a fantastic online conference that’s FREE to anyone. Stay tuned for more information and announcements.
- I’m working with Seedlings Design Studio on new covers for The True Bride and the Shoemaker and The Lady and the Frog, as well as the upcoming third book, The Matchgirl and the Magician. Look for some exciting posts about this in the next few months.
- Speaking of The Matchgirl and the Magician, in between everything listed here, I’m hard at work putting together the first section of the story as novella that will be available for free once ready. Look for an announcement in the upcoming weeks.
- In non-writing, but very exciting news, my sister Natalie moved in with me from California yesterday! It’s going to be awesome having family close by – especially a family member I happen to like.. (Ok – I like all of my siblings. They’re all pretty great).
I think that’s everything…
Oh, and somewhere between all of this, I need to work, eat, sleep, and socialize.
How’s your February shaping up?