I have to begin with an apology. I had previously scheduled First Lady Michelle Obama to give out today’s High-Fives, but she had to cancel at the last minute due to her responsibilities with the Oscars.
Thanks to everyone who participated, even if those who just stopped by to look at the blogs! In honor of the high-quality of answers and links, this “awards ceremony” will be broken up into two tele-posts. Today’s will award high-fives for posts, and the next will award high-fives for questions. (Hopefully, Jack Nicholson will be recovered from the Oscars to be able to present tomorrow.)
Without further ado, the High-Fives go to…
- The Rise of the Geek? from Star Wars Anonymous
- – Any post that provides insight into Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and makes me want to re-watch it deserves a prize. The post explores bullying and choosing to stand up as you are, without shame, and without compromise. Also, it is nerdtastic.
- Beyond Words… The Language Of Music from Beyond the Flow – A brief, but powerful discussion of how music can connect people together. After taking up the violin, Rowena has found a new community and way to communicate. There is more to relationships and communication than words.
- Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder from No page left blank – A great discussion of drafting, pushing through a first draft (pantsing), versus planning and editing as you go. This site often has great musings on the writing process, and this post is one of the best.
- My Own Tale of Crime (Sort Of) From the Berkshires From Sillyverse with Brian Bixsby – A library, a burglar alarm, and an out of town stranger meet in this true story in a small town. As is usual for this blog, it’s cleverly written and fun.
- The Beauty of the Glitch from digitaleidoscope – Both a celebration a video card computer glitch, and the perspective it brings, while also expressing the frustration of a familiar computer failing. I know we’ve all been at that moment when our world crashes due to a computer problem.
And, since the Oscars can aribitrarily add more nominees to the Best Picture race, here are some Honorable Mentions and Fist-Bumps:
- Spammers Greatest Hits from Lit and Scribbles with Jae
- Failing At Music – Succeeding At Life: Part Two from Cafe Casey
- The Next Big Thing from Mystic cooking
- The “Tao of Doug” Guide To A Happier Life from The Tao of Doug.
- Eighty Years Old from Keen sensibility
Side Note: I think last night’s Oscars was a great night for booty kicking ladies.
- Our very own Katniss Everdeen, Jennifer Lawrence, may have fumbled on the stairs, but followed through with another quick witted, self-deprecating speech.
- Adele won for a James Bond theme song.
- Catwoman, I mean Selena Kyle, I mean Anne Hathaway won for Best Supporting Actress.
- Brave won Best Animated feature. While Brave missed some opportunities as a film, I think it still deserves the win.
- Although Beasts of the Southern Wild didn’t win an actual Oscar, it won just by being nominated.
So, holla to 2012, the year of the booty-kicking girl. May there be many more strong female leads to come.
Also, Hello to anyone who I met at the Mid Singles Super Fun weekend! It was Super Fun, and I look forward to meeting you again.
Aren’t high-fives awesome? What makes you come back to visit a blog? (You can also comment on the side-note, if you’d like.)